Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vader Knows


How is it that, no matter how much time I dedicate to learning the art of proper comma usage or understanding correct grammar and punctuation, I still have trouble remembering it all, but can remember this ridiculous 'Shut up woman get on my horse' song word for word when I only heard it once several months ago? I really liked the lecture our instructor gave us in class last Thursday. It helped me realize how important it is to use proper commas and punctuation. All this time I would wonder to myself why commas are so important, since back in the day people used lines and shapes as a form of communication and they knew what they meant, so why should we need so many complicated 'set' rules and guidelines for communication? But, now I can understand. It's kind of like math or a logical pattern, and with out applying this 'logic' when you communicate you can stir up confusion among others and might not be heard by others because they don't know/care what you're talking about. It's strange, and fascinating, that I'm more interested in learning the concepts of commas and grammar use, rather than remembering the 'Shut up woman get on my horse' song that I only heard briefly several months ago, but I can't remember for the life of me how to use commas and for some reason this song is embedded in my memory from start to finish and word for word. Maybe, if language was somehow taught through annoying memes, people could remember what they've learned better. That way, it wont be bad thing when someone says, "I can't get it out of my head!"... and now an ELO song is stuck in my head, great.

1 comment:

  1. I have always found it difficult to learn all of the rules for grammar, but it is helpful.

    ReplyDelete